Black cod has a smooth, velvety texture with large delicate flakes. The flavors in this dish truly accentuate the rich, buttery taste of the fish.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce*
- 2 1/4 teaspoons hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 4-ounce black cod fillets
- Steamed rice
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring ginger sauce to room temperature before serving.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Stir hoisin and chili paste in another small bowl.
- Heat oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add cod, skin side up. Cook 2 minutes, then turn cod over. Spoon hoisin mixture over fillets, dividing equally.
- Transfer to oven and bake until fish is just opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Place 1 fillet in each of 4 shallow soup bowls. Spoon ginger sauce around fish and serve with steamed rice.